Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to NHL04 Rebuilt 2017. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Error solutions thread
Topic Started: Oct 29 2013, 03:16 AM (25,696 Views)
Vod
Member Avatar
Development Team
1) Problem: The game crashes right away when running nhl2004.exe
Possible Solution: This is most likely caused by BrowserEngine_pc_z.dll not being registered. You can register this file by creating a batch file in the game folder with with "regsvr32 BrowserEngine_pc_z.dll" (without quotes), otherwise you can run Launcher.exe and it should do it for you.

2) Problem: During loading I see a white screen with a box with an X in it at the top left corner. When I try to setup a game I get a script error which says: "object doesn't support this property or method" and I see broken images. (when running nhl2004.exe)
Possible Solution: This is most likely caused by becontrols_pc_z.dll not being registered. You can register this file by creating a batch file with "regsvr32 becontrols_pc_z.dll" (without quotes), otherwise you can run launcher.exe and it should do it for you.

3) Problem: When running nhl2004.exe, I get a white page and nothing else
Possible solution: One thing that causes this is a registry key not having the proper path to the game. Running Launcher.exe will fix this problem.

4) Problem: When I run a freshly installed NHL 2004 I get script errors.
Solution: Install the mod's interface. Vanilla NHL 2004 doesn't work in modern computers. Mod interface will "crack" your game.

5) Problem: I get a bunch of script errors, missing images or a white screen and the above solutions didn't work.
Possible Solution: Try the following:
Control panel -> Internet Options -> Advanced -> Click the "Reset..." button -> Tick "Delete personal settings" -> Click the "Reset" button

6) Problem: At the top of every menu, there is a black box with a white "X" for a missing image.
Possible Solution: Try the following:
- Update your Shockwave Player/Flash directly from Adobe
- Update your Flash from inside of Internet Explorer

7) Problem: My unmodded game crashes in dynasty mode
Solution: There are compatibility problems with the vanilla game. If you want to play vanilla, use the preservation mod (see my sig), otherwise use the rebuilt mod.

8) Problem: My game crashes during dynasty mode, but only certain home teams.
Possible Solution:
-If it's the buffer overflow problem, removing some custom ditties may help.
-Download arena-lite.viv (Refer to 04 rebuilt download thread)

9) Problem: The main menu buttons are unresponsive.
Possible Solution:
Try reinstalling the game to a folder other than 'Program Files'.

Launcher.exe can fix a bunch of problems, so always start by running that. You only need to launch the game once using it.
Always make sure you are using the most recent version of the rebuilt mod.

... More to come
NHL 2004 Launcher | My Changelog | NHL 2004 Preservation | NHL 2004 Debugger
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ayr
Rookie
Tried most of this for the white screen/crash fix. I installed everything accordingly, I believe. I ran launcher.exe normally, in compatibility mode, as an administrator and it keeps crashing. Any solutions?

trent
Member Avatar
Project Leader
What kind of crashing report you're getting? NHL2004.EXE has stopped working error or script errors?
My Blues 1995-1996 Season Report
My Blues 1998-1999 Season Report
My Flyers 1998-1999 Season Report

ayr
Rookie
trent,29 March 2015
11:51 PM
What kind of crashing report you're getting? NHL2004.EXE has stopped working error or script errors?

NHL2004.exe has stopped working.

I'm doing a full reinstall right now. Going to see if that fixes anything.

ayr
Rookie
trent,29 March 2015
11:51 PM

Now I'm just getting a bunch of script errors whenever I open the game.

trent
Member Avatar
Project Leader
Right click over Interface.rar -> Unblock -> Apply

Extract and overwrite everything in your \NHL 2004 folder.

Then Right click over NHL2004.EXE -> Run as an administrator

ayr
Rookie
trent,30 March 2015
12:11 AM
Right click over Interface.rar -> Unblock -> Apply

Extract and overwrite everything in your \NHL 2004 folder.

Then Right click over NHL2004.EXE -> Run as an administrator

Still giving me script errors.

I downloaded the game. I installed the game. I downloaded the Interface file. Right clicked > unblock > apply. I extracted it to C:/NHL2004. I'm still having issues loading the game. White screen and script errors.

ayr
Rookie
I think I may have figured out my problem. Apparently the rar file was set to Read Only and Hidden. I'll see if that fixed anything after redownloading.

ayr
Rookie
LOL. I figured it out. Thanks!

trent
Member Avatar
Project Leader
Please post a screenshot of those script errors. It's impossible to say what is wrong without them.

Press PRNT-SCRN button on your keyboard.
Paste that screenshot to Photoshop (or Windows Paint, whatever) -> Save
Post that image to imgur.com

Share the URL.

PS: Make sure you extract the interface.rar to -> \NHL 2004 and overwrite all original contents. Don't extract it to \NHL 2004\Interface

jdemo73
Rookie
How did you figure it out? I'm randomly now having the same "nhl2004.exe has stopped working" message right after starting the game. I get it immediately after running both nhl2004exe.'s and the launcher.exe. Tried reinstalling the game and mods twice, but to no avail. I also made sure to unblock the launcher prior to extracting. The game worked fine a couple months ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

trent
Member Avatar
Project Leader
"unblock the launcher"?

How do you even unblock it? :blink:

Don't the instructions clearly say that you have to unblock INTERFACE.RAR before extracting it?

Here is the visualization.

Posted Image

Then right click over NHL2004.EXE -> Run as an administrator.

Then play the game.

I have installed it to various systems (W7, XP, W8) and this has worked like a charm every time.

Or does your error message appear when you're actually trying to load the game... in arena the preview loading screen... or does it happen in the middle of an actual game?

It would greatly help your case if you described your actual problem properly.

jdemo73
Rookie
I appreciate you taking the time to respond and I apologize if there was a lack of clarity on my part. What I meant was that I made sure both the nhl2004.exe and the launcher.exe used to launch the game were not blocked by my firewall or antivirus.

I also did follow the instructions clearly and made sure to unblock the interface.rar file, then I hit apply on the properties screen before extracting it to the game directory as discussed in the forums.

Within seconds of launching the game, I get the "nhl2004.exe has stopped working" message before the EA Sports logo appears. This error occurs after installing the base game and trying to run it and after extracting the interface files and trying to run the nhl2004.exe and launcher.exe. I've tried reinstalling and reapplying the mods 5 times now with the same problem. It's just strange because a couple months ago I was playing using the mods with no issues. I would appreciate any guidance or further assistance on this issue. Thanks.

Vod
Member Avatar
Development Team
Did you try #1 in the list?
NHL 2004 Launcher | My Changelog | NHL 2004 Preservation | NHL 2004 Debugger

Gimmpy666
Junior League
[ * ]
If anyone could take a look here: http://nhl04rebuilt.com/index.php?showtopic=3641&st=30

My issues are on the 3rd page, last post. Please let me know if they have any suggestions, that'd be awesome.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Problem Reports / Tech Support · Next Topic »
Add Reply